Okay, so these aren't the most amazing photos, but it's really hard to photograph a super bright space and capture the color. I tried.
Door, sanded and repainted. Also, new hinges which I forgot to photograph, but I will!
view from the top of the stairs
new bead board ceiling and light fixture
left side: original walls, just sanded and repainted, new bead board, cabinet, towel racks, and trashcan, and Brian's new radiator cover
repainted vanity, new sink and faucet, repositioned outlet, penguin soap dispenser, new toilet paper roll holder, and new medicine cabinet
the most exciting part: new walls, ceiling, and bead board
ahhhhhhhhhh
another shot of the medicine cabinet and framing
painted the frame around the sky light glossy white
painted ceiling and fan cover
radiator cover Brian built from scratch (the floor is slanted, not the cover)
trimmed the baseboards with molding and quarter round
quarter round on vanity
And now we're looking at phase two. The original plan just involved buying a new faucet and handles for the shower and replacing the old. This is why we chose the yellow we did, because it matched the old shower surround. But, when we went to Home Depot, we couldn't find a three handle fixture in brushed nickel, only the single dial. Then, in talking with an employee, we soon learned that we would need to hire someone to switch the plumbing from one to two and when we got a quote, found out this will cost an additional $500. But it's also apparently much safer than the three handle when you have kids, since they can easily burn themselves the other way. So... we feel like we should make this switch but since that's double our budget, we stopped here. This option would also require us to cut new holes and as a result, we'll need a new surround. So this is where we are today. We pulled the surround from the wall to look behind, it wasn't falling off.
Yesterday I spent some time online and in Home Depot and Lowes. It turns out there are tile options that are actually cheaper than a plastic surround, but obviously require much more work. Tile would be a million times nicer looking and a better investment. We're just hoping we'll be able to do it ourselves. Here's the option I think we'll go with:
It's only $2.57 a square foot, which costs over $100 less than the surround. I love that it's traditional from a historical preservation standpoint, but just a little bit funky. I've spent some time reading up on tile installation and watching tutorials online. I hope to update soon with fabulous, stress free results!!!
3 comments:
That looks really good! I meant to go up there to check it out in person tonight but I forgot.
I wouldn't worry about the three faucet thing too much. I just think that kids are adaptable and smart. I know every kid is different but ours have NEVER touched the controls. I'm not sure why. They call for us when it's "too hot" or "too cold".
BUT! Replacing the surround! That is awesome. I love the tile. Love it.
And all the other changes that have been made. Beautiful :) When can you come up and design our house? :p
you guys are awesome!! it looks great!
Post a Comment