This bathroom has been gross since forever. Remember that we lived here as renters 10 years ago? Yeah, it was gross then too. The skylight is magical, but other than that... not much going for it. The previous owners tiled the floor, but not very well. They tiled around every fixture instead of removing them and tiling under them. The floor in the bathroom is a good inch higher than the hallway. There was also no ventilation until Joe installed a fan a few years ago. As a result, the walls were destroyed from the moisture. Crumbling and falling. The list goes on.
Brian and I scrubbed the heck out of it when we moved in last year and put up a new shower curtain, but other than that... it went on the "one day" to do list. Everything just appeared too expensive to fix right now, so we dealt with it. But every single day we were reminded of what a pit it was.
Then last week I had parent/teacher conferences scheduled for Wednesday evening, but no school during the day and the girls still had daycare. With a free morning, sans kids, I told Brian I wanted to paint the vanity. I did and it looked a million times better. But then the sink itself still looked awful. So Brian replaced it on our day off last Friday. Then we thought hmmm... it should be pretty easy to install some bead board... see where this is going? It's called a snowball.
Here we are just one week later and the change is astounding. We will have given our bathroom a temporary facelift for under $500. AND we're doing it completely on our own. Brian and I often stop and look at each other in amazement. One thing about owning an old house? You learn a lot and we certainly have. Our skills are getting better and better all the time.
Now, it's not perfect. Somewhere down the line we'd really love to gut the entire thing and actually re-tile the floor and shower, create more storage, and replace the vanity and toilet, but all that stuff is expensive and will definitely require a professional. But until that time, we're going to have a much more pleasant place to bathe our kids and brush our teeth.
We hope to finish within the next week or so, but until then... some lovely before pictures. Of course I didn't remember until after I painted the vanity, but the rest is untouched.
broken and rusty shower handles
cracked sink from drippy faucet and rusty faucet
example of tiling around the toilet, not under it, as well as the "immaculate" mortar
so pretty
mid sink replacement
No comments:
Post a Comment